Way Better Veggie Nachos with Cauliflower ‘Cheese’ Sauce
Let me start by saying, I have two BIG food aversions…
1) Fluorescent nacho cheese sauce. Did you see me on Food Network’s ‘Cutthroat Kitchen’ when I FREAKED OUT at the thought of having to dip my arm in a huge vat of it, and promptly bid a hefty $5K sum to ensure one of the other chefs would be stuck with it.
2) Messy nachos with a bunch of cheese sauce
Do you see a theme here? Ok, so that said, let me say my kids adore nachos. Figures. So it had to be one of the dishes I rehabbed to make better for you and still delicious.
On the Emmy-nominated show Recipe Rehab, I got to overhaul a family’s ‘loaded’ nacho dish with a whopping 40 grams of fat per serving, and create a lean, MedMex version with cubed chicken breast, black beans, a better for you sour cream made with nonfat Greek yogurt and a killer mango salsa and pita chips instead of the ‘Tostitos’ because, well, the chips just couldn’t stand up to my toppings. The only problem is, a lot of people have gone gluten-free.
So, I’m at it again. I came across Way Better Chips and they’re perfect. These sprouted grain chips are gluten-free, GMO-free and sooo delish…and they pack a powerful nutritional punch. I’m obsessed! I use the Sweeet Potato flavor as the base of my nachos and they’re so killer, I dare you not to eat the bag before they make it to the plate.
Now, for the cheese sauce. I had to figure out a way to put some nutritional content back into the once void ‘cheese like substance’. Seriously, it’s enough to make me want to gag just writing about it. So I blended some cooked cauliflower into a Greek yogurt mixture since it has such a mild flavor and voila – a cheesy sauce without the nasty additives and saturated fat.
Top it with that awesome mango salsa, a mixture of beans and mushrooms, topped with avocado and you have the makings of a WAY BETTER veggie nacho combo.
Knock yourself out and enjoy with the people you love.
WAY BETTER Veggie Nachos with Cauliflower ‘Cheese’ Sauce and
Spicy Tomato Mango Salsa
These nachos won’t break the calorie bank – especially because they’re jam packed with good-for you-ingredients and tons of veggies, even the ‘Cheese’ sauce, made without any saturated fat. This is WAY BETTER, and definitely nacho’ average nacho recipe.
1 Bag Way Better Snacks Sweet Potato Chips
½ Cup Canned Small White Beans, drained and rinsed
½ Cup Canned Black Beans, drained and rinsed
¼ Cup Cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
¼ Cup Water or Vegetable Broth
1 Cup Tomato Mango Salsa (see recipe)
1 ½ Cups Cauliflower Cheese Sauce (see recipe)
- Arrange nachos on a large serving plate.
- Over medium heat, combine cannellini and black beans with mushrooms and water or vegetable broth. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon over sweet potato chips. Layer with Cauliflower Cheese Sauce and Tomato Mango Salsa. Optional: Bake nachos before adding salsa for about 5 minutes to get the chips warm.
Tropical Tomato Mango Salsa (combine ingredients, refrigerate for at least an hour)
Makes about 1 cup of salsa
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (if mango is unavailable, swap out 1 small can no sugar added pineapple, drained and diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeño, minced
3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of a fresh lime
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill for an hour prior to serving. Enjoy on nachos, with fish, chicken or just about any of your favorite dishes.
Nacho’ Average Cauliflower ‘Cheese’ Sauce
Makes about 1 ½ cups of ‘Cheese’ Sauce
1/2 Cup cauliflower florets, steamed or boiled until very tender
1 Cup Nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- In a food processor, combine cooked cauliflower and yogurt and pulse until smooth. If you have a stick blender, you can skip step 1 and do everything in the saucepan.
- Add seasonings and process again.
- Transfer to a saucepan and heat thoroughly, about 5-6 minutes. Pour over nachos and enjoy!
This is a sponsored post by Way Better Snacks.
ENJOY & REMEMBER TO EAT CLEANER, EVERYDAY!
For more great tips and recipes from Chef Mareya, The Fit Foodie, visit www.eatcleaner.com or text EATCLEANER to 22828 to Join The Cleaner Plate Club!
Be sure to FOLLOW us on social media & SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!