Top 14 Meal Prep Kitchen Hacks
My Top 14 Clean Eating Kitchen Hacks
Chef Mareya aka The Fit Foodie
Ain’t nobody got time for that. Right? Eat Cleaner and get leaner without spending all day in the kitchen. Here are some of my top tips that I use all the time. COMMENT and let me know what you tried!
1) Get your greens in: Dr. Seuss had it right all along! A great way to get the kids (and adults) to eat their veggies in the morning is ‘green eggs’ and ham. Puree ½ cup of spinach, kale, chard or combination and add to egg whites. Roll up with a couple of pieces of nitrate and nitrite-free ham, turkey or feta cheese; even sautéed shrimp or crab for an elegant brunch. Make extra and freeze in aluminum foil for easy reheating
2) Egg muffins: Make a high protein breakfast in a flash in your muffin pan with my egg muffin hack. Wrap the rim with a piece of nitrate free turkey bacon, crack and egg in the middle and throw in some grated zucchini and a dab of feta cheese. Bake for 11-14 minutes and you’re ready to eat. These freeze beautifully, too.
3) Muffin pan snacks: The perfect way to set up an after school snack or pre-dinner tray. Fill a muffin pan with different clean treats like cut-up veggies, edamame, nuts, trail mix and just cover it up after grazing. Kids can also pack their lunch from these.
4) Baked Mexi-shells: Mexican food just got a healthy facelift. Spray an organic corn tortilla with non-stick cooking spray and a sprinkle of cumin and paprika to make a better tortilla shell or taco shell. Drape tortilla over the side of a baking dish to form a baked crispy taco or place in a large ramekin and bake until crisp for a taco shell. No frying required!
5) Pudding for Breakfast or Dessert: Make overnight zero sugar CocoChocoChia Pudding with five ingredients that makes itself in a mason jar. High protein, rich in EFA’s and nutrient dense with unsweetened cocoa. Serve with strawberries or layer with coconut whipped cream for an elegant dessert.
6) Better Breaded Chicken: Instead of white flour, use flax seed meal made with ground sunflower seeds and goji berries for a superfoods punch. Dip in egg white wash then place in a plastic bag with coating and shake to coat. Place on a non-stick baking sheet and bake about 12 minutes at 400F. Wash the chicken with Eat Cleaner Seafood + Poultry Wash to brine and pound thin to make it cook in half the time.
7) Fit Bites: Instead of expensive protein bars or rich truffles, make a batch of my Fit Bites, power packed with rolled oats, protein powder, stevia, pumpkin, powdered peanut butter (optional), unsweetened rice milk and unsweetened cocoa or shredded coconut that tastes as decadent as candy but is super nutrient dense. Roll up a batch and freeze until you’re ready to eat. Drizzle with chocolate to serve as an elegant after dinner treat.
8) Zoodle Your Noodle: Instead of regular pasta, add more veggies to their plates with a handheld zoodle (zucchini) or squoodles (yellow squash) maker. Lightly blanch or pan sauté and top with veggies, shrimp and pine nuts for a meal in less than 10 minutes.
9) Freezer Cubes: Use an old school ice cube tray to freeze extra smoothie batches for popsicles later. It’s also perfect for freezing extra chicken and veggie stock, or herbs with olive oil or coconut oil. Just chop or puree and freeze for easy cooking.
10) Savory or sweet quinoa: Most people are used to eating quinoa as a savory dish but how about for breakfast? Make a pot of it and do both. This Supercharged Summer Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is low in sugar and full of protein and slow burning carbs to keep you feeling fuller longer. You can use a batch to stuff zucchini and bake, too.
11) Turn your fridge into a salad bar: By washing all your veggies and fruit and chopping them up, you’ve just turned your fridge in a ‘fast food’ convenience hub of goodness. Eat Cleaner® Fruit + Vegetable Wash not only removes up to 99.9% of the bacteria, pesticides and wax, it extends produce shelf life up to 5 x longer. You can’t do that with water!
12) Make veggies portable: Put it on a stick or in a cup! This makes snacking on fresh stuff easy and convenient – plus a lot more fun for kids. Caprese skewers feature cuke, grape tomatoes and part skim mozzarella for balanced nutrition. Crudite Cups have a yummy avocado hummus dip on the bottom. So go ahead and prep ahead!
13) One sauce, 3 uses: Every week, I’ll grill or bake wild caught salmon, organic chicken, shrimp or pork tenderloin and I’ll use the same sauce as a marinade, a salad dressing and as a condiment for veggies, eggs and quinoa. It makes it super simple to keep it streamlined and multi-purposed. Some of my favorites are Rosemary Citrus, Tahini Garlic and Cilantro Pesto.
14) Pureed veggies instead of oil: You can swap one cup of pureed beets, sweet potatoes, avocado butternut squash for every cup of butter or oil in baked goods. These beets are the proof – the winner of my Recipe Rehab challenge, with zero butter or oil. Avocado does contribute more fat than the others but it’s monounsaturated and full of health benefits.
Want more? Text EATCLEANER to 22828 to Join our FREE Cleaner Plate Club and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.