The ABC Soup – Curried Apple, Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Bisque
When you want to pack a nutritious punch, soup is a pretty awesome option. You can add almost any vegetable and transform it into a creamy, heart-warming creation with the switch of a button – your blender. This delish combination begins with apple, chases it with with beta carotene-rich butternut squash and sweet potato and finishes with an exotic curry and chili flavor that transports you to another place. Thickened only with nonfat Greek yogurt and low sodium chicken stock, it’s extra creamy and smooth. A sprinkle of sunflower seeds at the end gives it just the right amount of crunch. I made this on PERISCOPE with my daughter, you can watch the replay HERE!
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium fuji or pink lady apple, cored and quartered
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dehydrated ginger (use 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger if dehydrated unavailable)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place whole butternut squash and sweet potatoes on a lined baking sheet and mist with non-stick cooking spray. Cook until fork tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out flesh (not seeds) with a spoon. Peel skin off of sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Saute onion in grapeseed oil over medium heat until translucent. Remove from heat and transfer to blender with squash, sweet potatoes, apples and broth. Blend until smooth, then add yogurt and seasonings. Adjust spice as desired.
- Blend mixture for 5 minutes or until hot. You may also transfer to a stock pot and cook thoroughly. Top with sunflower seeds and enjoy!
ENJOY & REMEMBER TO EAT CLEANER, EVERYDAY!
For more great tips and recipes from Chef Mareya, The Fit Foodie, visit www.eatcleaner.com or text EATCLEANER to 22828 to Join The Cleaner Plate Club!
Be sure to FOLLOW us on social media & SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!