Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
I think brussels sprouts have a bad rap. I mean you hear everyday that there are so many people out there who DON’T like them, but I can tell you, in my house, WE LOVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS. Who’s with me??
I feel like I should get this shirt and wear it proud!!
Anyways, not only is this little member of the cruciferous family delicious, but they sure are healthy when it comes to eating clean and getting a plate-full of nutrients. Check it out:
- Brussels sprouts are a good source of protein, iron, and potassium
- Brussels sprouts are high in Vitamin C, which is essential for growth and development and keeps your immune system strong. Vitamin C also helps maintain healthy skin, teeth, and gums AND helps to reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer. 1/2-cup of Brussels sprouts contain about 48.4 mg of Vitamin C (about 50% of men’s daily amount & 65% of women’s daily amount)
- Brussels sprouts are high in Fiber, which keep your digestive system functioning properly, encourages regular bowel movements, and prevents constipation, as well as help reduce cholesterol levels. 1/2-cup of Brussels sprouts content about 2 grams of fiber.
- Brussels sprouts are high in folate, aka folic acid. Folate is a B vitamin which is typically found in large amounts of green leafy vegetables. Folate helps prevent certain birth defects and takes part in the formation and maintenance of DNA. According to MayoClinic.com, Folate may help to reduce your risk of heart disease as well. 1/2-cup of Brussels sprouts contents about 47 micrograms of folate, which is about 12% of your daily amount needed.
- Brussels sprouts contain antioxidants that offer many other protective benefits.
With all that said and with so many different ways you can enjoy them, it’s a no brainer, in my opinion.
Grill them, and…
Eat them raw!!
I wanted to share my recipe for a delicious,
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Warm Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
It’s super easy to make in no time at all, plus it’s PALEO, VEGETARIAN, CLEAN, and has an option to be VEGAN.
Recipe serves 4.
- 1 LBS Brussels Sprouts, shredded
- 1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 C Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 1/3 C Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 C Walnuts, pan toasted
- 4 OZ Firm Sheep’s Milk or Goat’s Milk Cheese, grated (omit cheese for Vegan option)
- In a saucepan, heat honey and balsamic vinegar over low heat; whisk in extra virgin olive oil and heat for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened. Allow to come to cool for 5 minutes.
- If using whole Brussels sprouts, don’t forget to wash them fully with Eat Cleaner Fruit & Vegetable Wash, and then process them in a food processor until shredded – if you don’t have a food processor, here’s one I like that cost effective and works great!
- Combine shredded Brussels sprouts, cranberries, and toasted walnuts in a big bowl.
- Toss with warm vinaigrette.
- Top with grated cheese (omit this step for Vegan option)
- Serve Immediately.
Pretty simple, right?? Now it’s your turn!! Grab yourself some Brussels Sprouts and enjoy a delicious and very nutritious, clean dish today!!!
WANT TO KEEP THIS RECIPE???
You can save and print this recipe here: Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe Printable