Pad Thai, meaning “fried Thai style”, is typically a stir-fried rice noodle dish served as a street food and at casual local eateries in Thailand. It is usually made with soaked dried rice noodles, stir fried with eggs, firm tofu, and flavored with tamarind pulp, fish sauce, dried shrimp, garlic, red chili, and palm sugar, and served with lime wedges and chopped peanuts. Sometimes Pad Thai will also contain other vegetables like bean sprouts, garlic chives, coriander leaves, pickled radishes, and raw banana flowers. It may also have fresh shrimp, crab, squid, chicken or other proteins. Vegetarians can always substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce and omit the protein.
Squash Noodle Pad Thai
The fact is starch from the rice noodles converts into sugar in your body, even if it’s rice or other grains so if you’re opting for lower refined carbs and managing your GI, this dish is a great way to go.
It’s Clean and Gluten-Free
Recipe serves 4.
But you can always make extra and have leftovers!!!
- 8 Yellow Squash, Washed with Eat Cleaner Fruit & Vegetable Wash and made into Squoodes with a Spiralizer
- 1/2 Block Organic Very Firm Tofu, cubed and tossed in a TBSP of Sesame Oil, bake until firm and golden
- 1 LB Wild Caught Shrimp, washed with Eat Cleaner Seafood & Poultry Wash (leave the shells on for more flavor)
- 1 TBSP Oil, I like Thrive Algae Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced Finely
- 1/2 TSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 TSP Organic Granulated Stevia
- 1/2 C Low Sodium Veggie Broth
- 2 TBSP Liquid Aminos, I like Bragg Live Foods Liquid Aminos
- Cracked Pepper and Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 C Fresh Cilantro
- 1 C Bean Sprouts
- 4 TBSP Crushed Peanuts
- Sauté garlic over medium heat in Algae Oil until translucent.
- Add red pepper flakes and sauté for another minute.
- Add shrimp and veggie broth and whisk in stevia and liquid amigos.
- Bring to a boil then reduce over medium heat and cook for another 6-7 minutes, turning shrimp at the 3 minute mark.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add squash noodles and coat with sauce.
- In the last minute, crack in an egg and toss to “scramble”.
- Finish with bean sprouts, cubed of baked tofu, fresh cilantro, and crushed peanuts.