High Protein, Gluten-Free Quest Panini
I’m Mediterranean, so you have to understand, giving up bread is not in my vocabulary. I love it too much, but what I’ve learned and hopefully, if you’ve hung around here a minute, you know we love taking things that are yummy but not always nutrient dense and turning them into superhero foods.
Using Quest protein powder to balance out this gluten-free bread is a brilliant way to avoid spiking your blood sugar and decrease your carb intake.
About Quest Nutrition: They created Quest Protein Powders so you can love what you eat without compromising on your nutrition. The Quest Multi-Purpose Mix Protein Powder is low in calories & carbs, has zero fat and sugar, and is high in protein, so you can begin to transform some of your daily dishes to fit your healthy lifestyle. That is music to our ears…and bellies.
I recently got this recipe from my dear friend, Erin Woodbury (@livingleanwitherin) and after making it for myself, I felt it was too good to not share! It’s delicious, it’s easy, and full of protein. Make an extra loaf and freeze it or share with a friend.
High Protein, Gluten-Free Bread
4 scoops Quest® Multi-Purpose Mix Protein Powder
⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 packet fast-rising yeast
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
6 tablespoons liquid egg whites
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Nonstick cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 325°F.
2) In a microwave-safe bowl, add almond milk and microwave for 60 seconds.
3) Transfer warmed almond milk to a medium mixing bowl. Add yeast, stirring until fully incorporated.
4) Add coconut oil, egg whites, and egg, and whisk together.
5) Add Quest Protein Powder®, psyllium husk, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum, and mix together.
6) Spray an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
7) Transfer bread dough to loaf pan and spread evenly.
8) Bake for 30 minutes. Bread will not rise much.
9) Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes.
10) Slice bread into eighteen ¼-inch slices.
GRILLED TURKEY & CHEESE PANINI
For a dairy-free twist on this yummy panini for our vegan friends, fill up with lots of grilled veggies and a pine nut pesto minus the cheese. TASTY!!
Yields: 9 paninis
Serving Size: 1 panini
1 Loaf High Protein, Gluten-Free Bread (Recipe Above)
9 slices sharp cheddar cheese or goat’s milk cheese
9 slices nitrate-free turkey breast
1) Heat panini press.
2) Cut each slice of cheese in half and lay each piece on one slice of bread.
3) Divide turkey evenly among 9 pieces of bread.
4) Close sandwich and spray each side of bread with cooking spray.
5) Place on panini press and cook for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted and bread is nicely browned and slightly crisped.
Net Carb: 4g (1 sugar g)
Oh…and make sure to follow me @eatcleaner for more tips, and tools to eating clean and follow Erin @livingleanwitherin for healthy recipes that are easy and fun to make!!