Shawarma is the burger of the Middle East, with the tantalizing smell of meat wafting from virtually every street corner, layered into a warm pita veggies, pickles and yogurt sauce – and a whole lotta love. This is actually a Shawarma style chicken dish, because actual Shawarma is layered meats stacked onto a rotating spit, deftly roasted until the fats and meat caramelized into one. I love this marinade because it’s full of flavor and gets the chicken is so tender. You can also use it on tempeh or tofu for a vegan option.
This episode was dedicated to Rami Malek, the first Arab-American to ever win a best actor award for his amazing role as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody. I imagine after he won the Oscars, and gave his mom a shout out, this is what she would’ve made for him.
It’s comfort food to the core, and you can’t go wrong whether it’s layered onto a flat bread, into a salad or on a skewer.
Grilled Chicken Shawarma Wraps
* 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 tsp Himalayan pink or kosher salt
* 2 tsp ground coriander
* 2 tsp ground cumin
* 2 tsp black pepper ground
* 2 tsp smoked paprika
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 1/2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- In a bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
- Spray chicken thighs with Eat Cleaner Seafood & Poultry wash on all sides.
- In a large marinading tray or dish, pour marinade over chicken and cover.
- Let sit refrigerated for at least an hour, preferably overnight for maximum flavor absorption.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Grill thighs on each side for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve on flatbreads, jicama wraps or as a salad with lemon garlic and mint yogurt sauce (watch the video to learn how), lettuce, grilled peppers and a squeeze of lemon.