June is #nationaleatyourveggiesmonth. In honor, we’re posting yummy veggie recipes all month long!
BROCCOLI BAGNA CAUDA (banya-cowda)
aka Magic Broccoli
We’re choppin’ broccoli!
Broccoli just happens to be one of my kid’s favorites, thank God, because it’s so power packed with nutrients, cancer-fighting agents and flavor. It’s really versatile and in this dish, it’s the STAR, dressed up in a yummy sauce that gets its special kick with red pepper flake, lemon and anchovies. Yes! Don’t be scared of the anchovies if you’re not a fan. They won’t show up fishy in this dish at all. My 14-year old ate about a pound of this broccoli when we made it and I literally had to make another batch immediately to ward off the hungry hoards. Hence the magic part – so good and easy it will disappear before your eyes. It’s totally K.I.S.S. worthy (keep it super simple) – a quick 10-minute dish – BONUS!
You can watch the replay of how I made it LIVE on The Real Dish below.
- 2 lbs. fresh broccoli, washed with Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash, cut into long florets (keep the stems), stems peeled
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 6 anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, minced, 1 teaspoon oil preserved
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Grated zest and juice from 1 medium lemon
- In a large bowl, toss washed and peeled broccoli with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill on an indoor grill or grill pan until tender but still crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and reserved anchovy oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add minced anchovies and stir until anchovies ‘melt’ into the oil. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook an additional minute. Remove from heat and mix in zest and lemon juice.
- Toss broccoli with anchovy sauce and a little extra red pepper flake if desired. Serve hot and ENJOY!
Wash your produce with Eat Cleaner and see, smell and taste the difference!