Two Hearts Beet As One Salad
- 2 tablespoons EVOO (I use a blood orange olive oil and it’s divine. If you don’t have it, you can add a tablespoon of fresh blood orange juice to your oil)
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups mixed salad greens (I like mixing red leaf, green leaf and frisee but get creative), washed with Eat Cleaner Food Grade Produce Wash; chopped into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup golden beets, peeled, cooked and cubed (Try Melissa’s Produce pre-cooked beets for a great short-cut)
- ¼ cup red beets, peeled, cooked and cubed (Try Melissa’s Produce pre-cooked beets for a great short-cut)
- 3 oz sheep’s milk feta cheese, cut into cubes
- Optional: Balsamic vinegar glaze
- To make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together EVOO, champagne vinegar until emulsified and add Dijon mustard; add a pinch Himalayan pink and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a dry skillet, toast walnuts over low heat until fragrant and slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes; add turmeric and toss thoroughly with walnuts. Oils from walnuts should be enough to have turmeric adhere but if not, mist with non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of oil; Remove from heat and let cool.
- Toss salad greens and beets in prepared dressing. Layer onto a salad plate and layer feta cubes onto the plate. Finish with turmeric-toasted walnuts and finish with optional drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze.
- Enjoy with your whole heart!