Part of getting dinner on the table quickly, before your family rebels against you and starts eating the furniture, is keeping it simple. Great flavors, fast prep and simple techniques. It’s what I call my K.I.S.S. approach – Keep It Super Simple with Smart Swaps. That way, you never feel like you’re sacrificing – just feeding your body to the core. Don’t need butter and cream when coconut oil and almond or cashew milk will do the trick and provide more of a nutrient dense solution, don’t ya think?!
Ok, so this is one of my 9 year-old son’s faves. He loves that it looks like a hot dog (because I never make them) and that it’s ready in LESS THAN 10 MINUTES!! I don’t know if you have a kid who, when he’s hungry, he’s hungry NOW…and literally needs to eat immediately. Ahhh, the virtues of a hummingbird-like metabolism.
It’s so easy to make and because I use a Milanesa cut of beef – wafer thin – it grills up in minutes. Meanwhile, you’re roasting the veggies in the broiler and whipping up the salsa in a blender, so everything is ready super quick!! I make a lot of the salsa and keep it in Mason jars to top eggs, chicken, fish, tacos and pretty much everything that needs a kick. Its gorgeous color adds a ton of flavor and you’re getting your veggies in every bite! I fuse my So Cal life with my Mediterranean roots to get the Med Mex style of cuisine I’ve become known for.
Hope you enjoy it – and PLEASE leave us a comment. We love to hear from you. Seriously, it makes our day.
– Mareya and the Cleaner Plate Club
Stuffed Grilled Steak Rolls with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 3 minutes Cook Time: 7 minutes
8 pieces Milanesa cut organic or grass fed beef (If this is not available, have your butcher slice a flank steak into a super thin slice)
2 tablespoons EVOO
1/4 lb reduced sodium feta cheese
1) Heat grill or broiler to medium heat.
2) In a small bowl, combine EVOO and 6 spice and lightly coat each steak slice.
3) Arrange a tablespoon of feta along the first third of the steak slice and roll into a cigar shape and place seam side on the bottom so it stays nice and tight; repeat for each slice of steak.
4) Place on a piece of aluminum foil or baking pan and grill or broil for about 6 minutes; Remove from heat and let rest for a minute before serving.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
8 tomatillos, husk removed
3 small Roma or heirloom tomatoes
1/2 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
1 small white onion
3 cloves fresh garlic
2 tablespoons coconut oil or EVOO
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/2 cup water
Sea salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to HI broil setting.
2) Wash all veggies with Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash. Arrange in a baking pan and drizzle with EVOO or coconut oil; rub into veggies.
3) Cook veggies on HI for about 10 minutes or until veggies are soft. If they are getting too browned, cover with aluminum foil.
4) Transfer soft, cooked veggies to a blender. Add vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Pulse until you reach a smooth consistency. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle salsa over cooked steak rolls. Serve with a side cooked white or black beans and a nice Romaine avocado salad.