I went head to head with renowned YouTube and Cooking Channel chef Laura Vitale on the show “Recipe Rehab” and won this challenge – taking nachos to the next level but keeping them healthy and delish. This recipe was featured in the Harper Collins book, Recipe Rehab: These are full of protein with the chicken and beans and a ton of vitamin C from the mangoes and tomatoes. Beautiful flavor and a whole lotta’ fresh!!
Whole grain pita chips replace fatty corn chips, standing up to the toppings without getting soggy.
Makes 6 servings
3 Rounds Whole Wheat Pita Bread, cut in half horizontally then cut into 8 pieces per round (48 pieces total – if pita is too thin to cut horizontally, use 6 rounds for a total of 48 pieces.)
1 C grilled chicken breast, cubed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 Cup Lowfat/Nonfat Monterey Jack or Cheddar
1 C Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
Juice of one fresh lime
Dash of Kosher salt
Pre Make: 1C Mango Tomato Salsa (combine ingredients, refrigerate for at least an hour)
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (if mango is unavailable, swap out 1 small can no sugar added pineapple, drained and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomato, diced
- 1 Jalapeño, minced
- 3 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of a fresh lime
- Dash of Kosher salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 300F. Place cut pita triangles on baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray and toast until very lightly crisp, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lime juice and kosher salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Layer cubed chicken and black beans on top of toasted pita chips and spread lowfat cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from heat before cheese starts to harden.
- Remove from oven and dab with yogurt sauce and finish with mango salsa
Per serving: 350 calories, 9 g total fat (5 g saturated), 41 mg cholesterol, 661 mg sodium,
28 g protein, 1 g fiber, 41 g carb