MAKES 2 SERVINGS
POACHED EGG AND VEGGIE BREKKIE BOWL
This is my go-to way to start a power-packed day. When you break the silky yolks, they make the perfect sauce to toss with everything else. It’s especially satisfying after an awesome workout. Lemme’ tell ya’, you will not feel deprived with this bowl.
½ cup ½-inch cubes sweet potato
2 tablespoons raw coconut oil or ghee (clarified butter), melted
½ teaspoon smoked sea salt, plus more as needed
2 cups ¼-inch cubes mixed non-starchy veggies (zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions)
2 cups baby spinach
½ teaspoon chipotle chile flakes or red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 large eggs
½ avocado, cut into small chunks
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or aluminum foil.
2) In a small bowl, toss the sweet potato cubes with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and the smoked sea salt. Spread evenly over the prepared baking sheet and roast until fork-tender and slightly crisped, 15 to 20 minutes.
3) In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped veggies and cook, stirring, until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season all the veggies with the chipotle flakes and black pepper. Remove from the heat.
4) In the meantime, fill a 2-quart saucepan with 2 inches of water and add the vinegar. Bring the water to a slow boil over high heat. Crack each egg separately into a strainer (this will make the eggs beautiful uniform) and carefully coax them into the water, keeping the yolk from breaking. With a long-handled spoon, gently swirl the water, creating a “whirlpool” to help keep the egg whites together. Set a timer for 5 minutes for soft-poached perfection. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess water.
5) To assemble each bowl, spoon the mixed veggies into half the bowl, the sweet potatoes into one-quarter, and the chopped avocado into the remaining quarter. Place one egg in the middle of each bowl. Finish the egg with a little smoked salt and black pepper and enjoy the yolky lusciousness.
From EAT LIKE YOU GIVE A FORK: The Real Dish on Eating to Thrive. Copyright © 2019 by Mareya Ibrahim and reprinted with permission from St. Martin’s Griffin.