What’s the best kinda’ date? The one you can eat!
This simple and delish recipe from my book always delivers just the right amount of sweetness and energy. By combining dates, which help to stabilize blood sugar with lots of fiber – the fresh apple, vanilla collagen protein, nuts and coconut, you get a little apple pie in every bite. And to make them a little more festive, I added some fuschia-colored Pitaya powder to the mix. Pure natural color.
Here are the ingredients – hope you’ll try!
- 1 cup dried dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup slivered raw almonds
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 scoop collagen protein powder
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped apple washed with eatCleaner Fruit + Veggie Wash Spray or Wipes
- 2 teaspoons dried Pitaya powder
- In a food processor, combine the dates, almonds, walnuts, ground flaxseed, protein powder, ¼ cup of the coconut, the flavoring ingredients of your choice, and 2 teaspoons water and pulse until a dough is formed. Add another teaspoon or two of water if needed for the mixture to hold together.
- Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut over a small plate. Roll the dough into twelve 1-ounce balls, setting the balls on a large plate as you go.
- In a Ziploc bag, add 2 tablespoons chopped coconut, plus any optional add-on powders, like Pitaya. Freeze the balls for 30 minutes in a sealed container to firm up, and to store any uneaten balls for indulging when your heart desires
- Matcha Tea Date Balls: Add ½ teaspoon fine matcha tea powder to coating mixture
- Apple Pie Date Balls: Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh apple + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to mixture
- Pitaya Date Balls: Add 1 teaspoon ground pitaya powder to coating mixture