Did you know that while all bell peppers are a delicious, heart healthy food, Red Bell Peppers are a particularly good choice for heart health as they are full of lycopene. They are also a source of cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber and powerful antioxidant vitamins A and C, which are good for your heart health. Pair these bad boys with some perfectly ripe avocados and you have yourself an AMAZING little bowl of goodness that is full of dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which also help to keep your heart healthier. This little dish is good for any day of the week — maybe a mid-day snack at work, a post workout snack, or the perfect compliment for the BIG GAME 🙂
AND… AN AVOCADO A DAY MAY KEEP THE BAD CHOLESTERAL AWAY!
GUACAMOLE BELL PEPPER NACHOS
Makes 4-6 Servings
BEST GUAC EVAH:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bell or pasilla peppers, sliced lengthwise into 2-inch “tortilla chip” shapes, for serving
Don’t forget to ALWAYS wash your fruits & veggies with Eat Cleaner Fruit & Veggie Wash!!!
- MAKE THE GUAC: Halve and pit the avocados and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl. Add the lime zest and lime juice and use the bottom of a mason jar, sturdy-bottomed glass, or mortar and pestle to smash the avocado flesh until smooth. This allows you to keep some texture without making a puree.
- Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, white pepper, salt, cumin, and cayenne and mix with a fork to combine.
- Spoon the guac into a serving bowl and serve with the bell pepper “chips” for dipping, or spoon the guacamole into the peppers for a great appetizer.