I’m a SUCKER for a great pizza and these pita creations are perfectly portioned and PACKED with just the right Greek-inspired flavor. The combination of a perfectly crisped pita crust with the tangy Greek Style pizza sauce, earthy roasted potatoes, umami-rich pulled pork and just enough feta, with and the fresh kale pistou to add just the right amount of acid and crispness is a WINNER! I love getting in the greens with something that’s rich to give it that needed freshness.
Paleo and keto friendly to meet many dietary needs. Omit pulled pork for a gluten and meat-free winner!
1 1/2 lbs. yellow and red baby potatoes, pre-roasted and cut in half
1/4 cup EVOO
2 teaspoons Purple Haze Spiceology blend
4 gluten-free pita pockets
Organic Olive Oil Spray
1 cup pre-prepared Greek-style pizza sauce (see recipe below)
3/4 cup pre-cooked gyro meat
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
Drizzle of Kale Pistou (see recipe below)
Greek Style Pizza Sauce
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup red wine
16 oz canned crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
2 tablespoons pitted Kalamata olives, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons Greek Freak Spiceology blend
Pinch of dried oregano
- In a medium skillet, heat EVOO and saute red onion and garlic over medium heat about 2 minutes. Add red wine then crushed tomatoes and sun-dried tomato paste, stirring together until mixture is even and consistent. Add Kalamata olives and Greek Freak Spiceology blend and reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes until mixture is reduced and thickens to pizza sauce consistency. Allow to cool and further thicken up before using in recipe.
1 1/4 cups fresh kale
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup EVOO
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
pinch of ground black pepper
- Process all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Place in squeeze bottle and add a couple teaspoons of water if needed to make ‘squeezable’ for top of pizza.
- Heat oven to 450F. On a lined baking sheet, toss cut baby potatoes with EVOO and Purple Haze Spiceology blend. Roast until fork tender and browned an top, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Place pita rounds on a lined baking sheet and mist with organic olive oil spray. Ladle approx. 1/4 cup pizza sauce onto the bottom of each pita round. Evenly distribute roasted potatoes and gyro meat per pita and top with crumbled feta.
- Bake in the heated oven for 10 minutes or until feta begins to melt and pita is crisp.
- Remove from oven and top with a generous drizzle of Kale Pistou. Top with fresh basil and arugula leaves if desired and ENJOY!