Watch my segment on Fox 5 News in San Diego from this A.M. HERE!
Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day and it’s for a darn good reason…or maybe 5.
1) It tells your body it’s awake and to start working. For 8 hours or so, you’ve been in rest mode and your body has functioned on minimal (no) energy. Now your brain, muscles and nervous system need FUEL!
2) Chewing triggers your metabolism and tells it to start burning and working.
3) It gives you energy and helps you become alert.
4) It can help keep you regular (Yes, I said it).
5) For kids, eating breakfast directly relates to improved test scores in school and play a role in preventing CHILDHOOD OBESITY.
If you’re saying, ‘ain’t nobody got time for that,’ it’s time to make time.
You can make breakfast quickly, in 5 minutes or less, as I showed on Fox 5 News this morning. Just stock your pantry and fridge with the awesome products I featured. It’s really important to me to screen products carefully so you know what I’m giving you is what I feed my family.
The batter for the Gluten-Free, No Sugar Added Banana Protein Muffins works for Pancakes too, so you get two for the price-of-one recipes (although these are free).
Make sure to follow us on Instagram @eatcleaner, Pinterest @eatcleaner, Facebook @eatcleaner and Twitter @eatcleanerfood.
Good morning sunshine! xxM
CocoChoco Chia Pudding
Fox 5 Anchor Shally literally inhaled this while we were doing the segment. So good and ridonculously easy, it pretty much preps itself. Full of good-for-you fatty acids and protein and the Bare Coconut Chips add amazing texture – chewy in the pudding, crunch on top. You’d never know it was DAIRY and GLUTEN-FREE and kids get pudding for breakfast. May we please have some more?! (Said with a British accent)
3/4 C unsweetened almond, rice or hemp milk
1 tsp stevia
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp BARE Coconut Chips
In a Mason Jar or container with a seal, whisk together milk, stevia and vanilla extract. Add chia seeds, cocoa powder and BARE Coconut Chips and mix or shake until all ingredients are well incorporated. I use a little frother to get everything nicely mixed right in the Mason Jar.
Refrigerate overnight and voila, you have a delicious breakfast pudding in a portable container for the morning. Consistency of the chia is like boba but better for you
Gluten-Free Banana Choco Chip Protein Muffins and Pancakes
Makes 8 muffins or 10 pancakes
I love making baked goods more nutrient dense and adding Orgain Protein Powder into the mix is a perfect way to help keep you from sugar spikes you typically get from baked goods. Slipping a few dark chocolate chips in there never hurt anybody! Just stick with the 70% or higher cocoa factor as they usually don’t add sugar to those. Make these ahead so you’re ready to go in a flash in the morning!
1 3/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
2 scoops Orgain Organic Protein Powder
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup organic stevia
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 very ripe banana
1 egg plus 2 egg whites
2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Topping: Karoun Labne (Lite) and Bare Coconut Chips with sliced figs
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients with a spoon.
3) In a separate bowl, beat together all of the remaining ingredients except for chocolate chips until smooth with a whisk or hand mixer.
4) Add wet ingredients to dry and combine with whisk or hand mixer until smooth. Add in chocolate chips and stir so are evenly distributed.
5) Mist a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and fill 3/4 of the way full.
6) Cook for about 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Use the same batter and topping to make delicious pancakes!!
Mocha Loca Antioxidant Smoothie
As we’re getting breakfast ready, how about we fuel up ourselves? I love functional foods and this super antioxidant smoothie takes coffee to the next level. This blend contains Sambazon Acai original smoothie packs, Amazing Grass Super Greens, unsweetenened cocoa powder, instant coffee, stevia and almond milk. When you fuel your body with alkalizing greens, superfruit and plant-based protein, you can’t go wrong.
1 Sambazon Original Acai Smoothie Pack
1 C Unsweetened Almond or Coconut Milk
½ scoop Amazing Grass Super Greens powder
1 tsp Organic Stevia
½ tsp Organic Instant Coffee
Scoop of Ice
Shake it up well in a Blender Bottle or blender and you’re ready for the road!
Labne Lite Bowl
This probiotic rich deliciousness is something I grew up with. It’s like yogurt only it’s officially a cheese. The Karoun Labne Lite Yogurt Cheese is so yummy mixed with a little honey and topped with Bare Coconut Chips and some cut-up Fruit. It’s too easy to write up a recipe for…just grab the Labne and you’ll see what I mean.