Ahhhh….Cinco de Mayo!
While there is definite history to this day, May 5th, back 153 years ago, there is still a celebration that takes place each and every year on this one day – there is a dancing, there is music, there is drinking and you know there is TONS OF FOOD, because what would a celebration be without delicious dishes?
In honor of Cinco de Mayo 2015, I wanted to share a few of my favorites that will keep you coming back for more, but won’t go straight to your gut the next day! With these healthy dishes, you are sure to enjoy your fiesta with friends and family and be asked to share the recipe once or twice…
Chef Mareya’s MedMex Nachos with Mango Tomato Salsa
This all-time favorite of Chef Mareya’s was featured on Recipe Rehab!
Chef Mareya’s MedMex Nachos
Whole grain pita chips replace fatty corn chips, standing up to the toppings without getting soggy.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 Rounds Whole Wheat Pita Bread, cut in half horizontally then cut into 8 pieces per round (48 pieces total – if pita is too thin to cut horizontally, use 6 rounds for a total of 48 pieces.)
- 1 C grilled chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Cup Lowfat/Nonfat Monterey Jack or Cheddar
- 1 C Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Juice of one fresh lime
- Dash of Kosher salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
Pre Make: 1C Mango Tomato Salsa
(combine ingredients, refrigerate for at least an hour)
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (if mango is unavailable, swap out 1 small can no sugar added pineapple, drained and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomato, diced
- 1 Jalapeño, minced
- 3 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of a fresh lime
- Dash of Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 300F. Place cut pita triangles on baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray and toast until very lightly crisp, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lime juice and kosher salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Layer cubed chicken and black beans on top of toasted pita chips and spread lowfat cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from heat before cheese starts to harden.
- Remove from oven and dab with yogurt sauce and finish with mango salsa
Another favorite & delicious dish featured on Recipe Rehab is…
Chef Mareya’s Cheese Enchiladas with Smokey Chipotle Sauce
Cheese Enchiladas with Smoky Chipotle Sauce
Make 4 Servings
Chipotle Enchilada Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, halved, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower florets
- ¾ cup low sodium low fat cottage cheese
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose salt free seasoning, such as Frontier
- 8 taco size sprouted grain tortillas, such as Ezekiel
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 slices reduced fat pepper jack cheese, such as Sargento
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F.
2. To make the sauce, place a pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Cook and stir for 1 minute until soft. Add the garlic, stirring to prevent it from burning. Add the bell pepper, tomato, cumin, and oregano; stirring well to incorporate. Stir in the chipotles and adobo; stirring to incorporate the ingredients. Add the broth and cocoa powder. Cook and stir until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.
3. Ladle the sauce into a blender filling it no more than halfway. Purée until completely smooth; be sure to hold down the lid with a kitchen towel for safety. If you have an immersion blender, this is a great time to use it. Cover and hold warm.
4. To make the filling, put the cauliflower in 1 inch of water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover tightly and microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes until fork tender. Transfer the cooked cauliflower to a food processor; add the cottage cheese, lime juice, zest, and seasoning. Puree until smooth and creamy.
5. Spray each tortilla on both sides with nonstick cooking spray and char over a burner flame, about 2 to 3 seconds on each side.
6. Pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
7. Fill each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of the cauliflower mixture and roll it up. Put the filled tortilla in the baking dish, seam-side down. Continue until all of the tortillas are filled and rolled. Add the remaining enchilada sauce to the top of the tortillas making sure all are covered with the sauce. Cut the cheese slices in half and lay them on top. Put the enchiladas in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
8. Scatter cilantro over the top of the enchiladas before serving.
You can’t forget about the tacos, so Chef Mareya has created the perfect and BAKED,
Turkey Zucchini Tacos with Flavor God’s Everything Spice PLUS BAKED, not fried tortilla shells
- Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Ground Turkey
- Zucchini, finely chopped in a food processor (don’t forget to wash them first with Eat Cleaner Fruit & Vegetable Wash!)
- Onion, chopped
- Flavor God Everything Spicy
- Black Pepper, ground
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Lime (option)
- Cherry tomatos
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Sautee the ground turkey, chopped zucchini, and chopped onion. Season with Flavor God’s Everything Spicy, a dash of Cumin, and Black Pepper (to taste).
3. Spray corn tortillas with olive oil non-stick cooking spray and drape over the edge of a baking pan. Baked for about 8-10 minutes. (The taco shells will hold their form without deep frying!)
4. Once taco shells are baked and crispy, fill with ground turkey and zucchini mixture. (This is a great way to get veggies in there for the whole family!)
5. Top with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt, sliced cherry tomatoes, and a squeeze of lime!
Serve with your favorite side of beans or eat ala carte! Enjoy!
We would love to see your renditions of our favorite Cinco de Mayo dishes, so snap a photo, share via social media, and don’t forget to TAG @eatcleaner!!!
For more great tips and recipes from Chef Mareya, The Fit Foodie, visit www.eatcleaner.com or text EATCLEANER to 22828 to Join The Cleaner Plate Club!
Be sure to FOLLOW us on social media & SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!