The Steer Clear List
This is a list of foods that you should under no circumstances put in that precious body of yours or anyone else you care about.
Tune in to Episode 6 of The Real Dish as Chef Mareya, Founder of Eat Cleaner breaks down the ‘Steer Clear’ list of things to avoid in foods.
- Artificial colors:Food colorings are used to make food look more appealing or to replace colors lost in processing. However, don’t let these colors deceive you. Artificial colorings are synthetic dyes that are often coal-tar derivatives. Look for acronyms like red #40, yellow #5, and yellow #6. They are suspected to cause allergies, asthma, hyperactivity and are potentially carcinogenic.
- Artificial preservatives (BHA, BHT, EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Sulfites): You may see these ingredients in chips, fried snack foods, baked goods, carbonated drinks, cheese spreads, hummus, salsa, chewing gum, ice cream, breakfast cereals and even cosmetics.These preservatives are actually synthetic petroleum-based and fat soluble antioxidants, used by manufacturers to prevent oxidation and retard rancidity. They can cause cancer, allergic reactions and hyperactivity, and BHT may be toxic to the nervous system and the liver.
- Nitrites and Nitrates:Love your bacon in the morning and salami at lunch time? Cured, preserved, smoked meats are often saturated with nitrites and nitrates to preserve shelf life and give it a “healthy” pink hue. These two preservatives may prevent the growth of bacteria but can also transform into cancer-causing agents called nitrosamines in the stomach. They may also produce noticeable side effects like headaches, nausea, vomiting and dizziness.
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG):You may be happy that you’re dining in restaurants that say “No MSG”, but did you know that MSG lurks in all kinds of sauces used to prepare the foods that you thought were MSG-free? There are also significant amounts in all kinds of snacks, seasonings, candy, even infant formula, over-the-counter medications, and nutritional supplements.
- Artificial Sweeteners (Aspartame, Sucralose, Saccharin, etc): Don’t be seduced by the zero calorie promise on these sweeteners. They have been linked to nausea, headaches and nervous system disruption. Saccharin has been proven to cause cancer in animals. It’s not work the risk. Instead, opt to sweeten with natural zero sweeteners, like organic stevia which is 10 times as sweet as sugar, without the crash.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup: Otherwise known as HFCS, it’s ultra-refined, mostly GMO and has been linked to obesity, heart disease and insulin resistance. It shows up in a lot of syrups, sauces and beverages, so take a double look at those labels when evaluating choices.
- Hydrogenated fats (margarine, shortening, etc.): These artery clogging fats are linked to heart disease and a myriad of other complications that will take years off your life. You see them showing up in stick and tub form on the shelves, but also in foods with a long shelf life. Instead, opt for heart healthy oils, including olive, avocado, sesame, grapeseed and other nut/seed oils that deliver good quality essential fatty acids.
Subscribe for free today to The Real Dish podcast, featuring real people, real experiences, and food for thought you can really sink your teeth into.
Follow @eatcleaner on social media!