Back in the 80’s (yes, I was around then :0) I was a little preppy. Not the kind of plaid bermuda shorts and penny loafers wearing preppy of my friends, but I could rock the occasional alligator polo (Lacoste for all you neophytes) and a cardigan wrapped around my shoulders. Pink and green, together, no less.
Flash forward to the year 2015 and this Prep Club is all about getting your food in order. I know I sound like a stinkin’ broken Duran Duran record but if you fail to plan, you will plan to fail. Having clean food purchased, prepped and ready for the week will absolutely save you from fast food lines, cranky family members and expensive dining out bills let alone the crash box of cookies that finds its way into you stomach when you’re so hungry you could eat a cow.
While there is a little work that goes into it, it doesn’t have to be Iggy Azalea fancy. We’re talking cleaned and chopped veggies, fruit, some pre-cooked proteins, grains, a dip and a sauce. With these elements, you can mix and match and make a ton of different meals. Just like a great wardrobe, these are are your clean eating staples. What you add to the mix, you can consider your accessories – like those killer white hoop earrings and dayglo wristbands and matching socks we all had.
Here’s what you need:
1) Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash: Wash and prep all your produce to get it clean and help it last up to 200% longer
2) Eat Cleaner Wipes: To pack with you for on-the-go cleaning. When you need a pick-me-up, grab an apple, pear or other piece fruit and you’re still eating clean.
3) Reusable Containers: Invest in a great set of reusable containers, ranging in sizes – from snack size to entree/salad size . Stick with BPA-free plastic, glass or other sustainable, safe material. I love Mason Jars because they work great for overnight oats and salads, too – and they’re perfectly portioned.
4) The Right Tools: In my book, The Clean Eating Handbook: 31 Essential Rules for Health, Wellness and a Fabulously Fit Life (it’s on sale this week, too!), I give you the breakdown for all my favorite tools to make your prep work a breeze, but they include the right knives, a food processor and/or blender, mandolin slicer, a microplane, a couple of colanders and several other utensils. It may sound like a lot but it’s not. If you were an artist or fisherman, you need the right tools for the job. You are, my friend, a wellness warrior and these will make your life easier.
5) A Good Plan: Remember what I said about failing to plan? Well you need a plan! Back in the day, people used plan out their meals A good list is worth its weight in gold. You can make a copy of your master list and reuse it every week. My dear friend and rockstar entrepreneur Chalene Johnson recently talked about her Time Saving Systems and strategy for shopping in an episode of The Chalene Show. Definitely a great listen – and she gives Eat Cleaner a nice shout out! As a bonus to you, and because I think you all are pretty darn awesome, I’m sharing a meal plan template, which includes nutrition info and a shopping list for you to download. This will change from season to season, but it should give you a good basis to eat clean for the week.
If you like the idea, there’s more where that came from! SIGN UP for our 10-week program where you’ll get a new meal plan, shopping list and
Stay healthy my friends.