The Eat Cleaner ‘Fit 31’ Challenge
For 31 days starting May 1, or what we call MAY DAY, join us to start eating cleaner, getting leaner and feeling better than ever. Don’t let another summer go without getting into the best shape of your life.! Your greatest success will come from how you eat!
You can never outrun a bad diet and it may be cliché, but yes, abs are made in the kitchen..
These are 6 easy to follow steps that make a huge difference.
Here’s what you’ll do to get started:
COMMIT. It’s 31 days. It may seem like a long time, but you’re just scratching the surface on the clean eating lifestyle you’re about to adopt for good.
GET YOUR FAMILY ON BOARD. You’re committed, and it’s always better when you can do this together. You’re going to be cleaning house and pantry, and who has time to be a short order cook? Get everyone eating cleaner and getting fit together.
GET FOOD READY
Purge your pantry, rehab your refrigerator:
- Go through your pantry and get rid of anything that has ingredients on our ‘Steer Clear List’.
- Also, evaluate foods with excessive sugar, sodium and saturated fat. If it has over 15 grams of sugar per serving, 250 mg of sodium or 5 grams of saturated fat, get rid of it.
- If it’s fried, just get rid of it, no matter if it’s in the range. That includes chips. Acidification from fried foods, even if in healthy fats, not the best.
Go grocery shopping:
- Take the list from our free meal plan and stock up on the good stuff.
Get meal prepping.
- Follow our meal plan, which gives you macro balanced meals. You can try 1 week free or get the whole 12 week plan for $49.95. First time eatcleaner.com customers get 25% off and FREE SHIPPING applies to all orders $40+. Using our Eat Cleaner® Wash + Wipes will help you get all your fruit and veggies along with seafood and poultry washed in advance so they’ll last you all week long.
Next, now that you have that ready to go, you’re going to focus on lean, fit foods and lots of hydration. No refined carbs and snacks, no sugary drinks, no excessive sodium. Your goal will be to limit yourself to:
- Less than 50 grams of sugar TOTAL (including natural sugars from fruit)
- Less than 2200 mg of sodium
- Less than 5 grams of saturated fat
If you follow our meal plan, we’ve already done the math for you. By picking unprocessed foods, lean meats and protein, and lots of fresh veggies, you can’t go wrong. If you are traveling or need to eat out, choose restaurants that allow you to eat on the plan. Best bets are grilled, baked or steamed options, like salmon, chicken and lean beef with veggies and some single ingredient slow burning carbs like brown rice, farro and quinoa.
Now, here’s the really essential piece. HYDRATION. Lots and lots and lots of clear beverages. Your goal will be to:
- Drink HALF your body weight in ounces of clear liquids daily
But here’s the clincher…
- When you’re eating, consume room temperature or warm beverages, like unsweetened tea. This will aid your digestion.
- In between meals, drink ice cold beverages. This will help kick start your metabolism. You can also add a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar to 8 ounces of water to help with digestion of carbohydrates.
MOVE YOUR BODY
- It’s not talking at the gym on your phone at level 4 of the treadmill. This is at least 30 minutes of activity that gets your blood pumping at least 6 out of the 7 days, with at least 3 days of strengthening exercises. This doesn’t have to be with weights or any fancy equipment. A combination of push ups, sit-ups, squats, dips, etc with at least 20 minutes of cardio training that feels uncomfortable to have a conversation. Ride bikes with your kids, or go for a run and have them ride with you. Go for a hike together. Swim laps in the pool together. We’ll demonstrate some of our favorite activities during the month that gets the whole family moving.
- For personal workouts with an accountability partner, you can also visit our good friends at:
The 12 Movement (Irvine and Costa Mesa)
We’ve tried all their great workouts and approve! There are home based, outdoor and gym workouts for you to pick from. Pick activities that you love, and look forward to. Stretch and practice deep breathing. Schedule this into your calendar like an appointment with your accountability partner to keep each other on point.
Rest is just as important as activity. If you’re burning the candle at both ends, you won’t have the clear head to make ‘fit’ decisions.
- You need to get a minimum 7 hours of sleep. Your body needs this to lower stress, allow for proper time to rest and create hormones that help you fight fat.
- Aim to get to bed by 10:00/10:30 pm. Even if you get to bed later and still get 8 hours of sleep, it’s not as beneficial to your body..
A couple more tools to help you…
– Pick up your copy of The Clean Eating Handbook.: 31 Essential Rules for Health, Wellness and a Fabulously Fit Life. It breaks down the hows and why’s of the clean eating lifestyle in easy to digest, bite sized bits.
– Tune into our podcast The Real Dish for inspiration while you’re in the car, getting ready in the am or, being active!
YOU CAN DO THIS.
Now…one last request.
Take a few BEFORE pictures. And do it in an exercise top (ladies) and guys, without a shirt, and shorts. I know, this may not make you super comfortable, but it’s all about progress, not perfection, and seeing the steps toward your goals is very motivating.
Post those before pics along with your daily progress and tag @eatcleaner and #fit31 so we can cheer you on!
Text ‘EATCLEANER’ to 22828 to Jump into the #FIT31 challenge this May!
Follow @eatcleaner on social media!