My 7 year old son loves to be in the kitchen with me, and I cherish that time so much. Not to mention, a guy who can cook will make a woman very happy one day, but for right now, it’s all about the love of his mama!
With Valentine’s Day coming up, we got to baking and decorating together. I refuse to buy those store-bought, artificially-laden-white-flour-sugar bombs with the food coloring that turns my kids lips and tongue colors. WTH?? My version take on a little bit of a pink hue from the beets, kind of like a red velvet look. I absolutely love that you can bring veggies into these and they make them moist and nutrient dense. If you want to make the cute heart shape, use coffee beans or a marble to create an indentation at the top.
Vanilla Chai Cocoa Spice Cupcakes with Creamy Dark Chocolate Ganache (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Yields 30 mini cupcakes or 12 regular size cupcakes
1 package Wholesome Chow gluten-free Vanilla Chai Spice baking miz
1 C red beets, pureed until smooth (Use canned beets or fresh beets. If using fresh, peeled, boiled until fork tender, then pureed)
1 C unsweetened almond milk
½ C dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
Dark Chocolate Ganache
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
6 ounces (70% or more cocoa) dark chocolate chips or chunks
1/4 cup stevia or xylitol (natural sweetener)
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Cinnamon ‘lips’ (picked these up at Whole Foods)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat cupcake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a large mixing bowl or stand up mixer, combine beet puree, sugar substitute, almond milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
3) Add Wholesome Chow mix and cocoa powder and mix until well combined and no visible lumps.
4) Divide mixture evenly into cupcake pans. Bake for 10-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center clean. Smaller cupcakes will require about 10 min. Allow to cool on a baking rack.
5) While cakes bake, place ganache ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until chocolate is melted over very low temp. Take care not to let chocolate seize. If ganache is too runny, place in freezer to firm up slightly. Should be spreadable consistency.
6) Once cakes are completely cooled, frost cupcakes with ganache and top with coconut or cinnamon lips – fresh raspberries would be gorgeous, too.